More tips for asking for a recommendation letter (from a counselor OR teacher):
- Ask an individual who knows you well. Ask them IN PERSON, even if you filled out this form. The letter will not be written unless you talk your counselor in person and you've completed this form.
- Provide him/ her with the necessary information about you (see Recommendation Fact Sheet). Include your resume.
- Provide an envelope (stamped, if necessary). This is not necessary if the letter is to be submitted online/via Naviance.
- Ask that person, personally. Make an appointment if necessary.
- Allow the person 10-14 days to complete the recommendation. Be sure the person understands the requirement for the recommendation.
- Let the person know when you need the recommendation completed.
- Make another personal contact with the recommendation writer to make sure the recommendation has been written, and mailed, if necessary.
- Write a thank you note for the person who wrote the recommendation for you.